Saturday 19 November 2016

Get your shoes on and get your arse out of the door

When you're new to running the biggest battle is often getting the shoes on and getting out of the house. This is especially true if it's raining/cold/getting a bit dark/5.30 in the morning. The thought of snuggling up on the couch to watch re-runs of Big Bang Theory or going back to sleep is much more appealing. Sometimes it can help to have a little bit of motivation; a gentle nudge in the right direction:

'Get your shoes on and get your arse out of the door. NOW.'

My husband has a knack of stepping in at just the right moment with just the right thing to say. Although slightly affronted, this made me laugh so much that it has become my mantra if I am struggling to get motivated.

This might not work for everyone. Other strategies I employ include:

If it's raining outside...

Wearing a cap or a visor stops the rain running down my face, which is extremely irritating.

If it's 5.30 in the morning...

I don't particularly like running in the morning. Sometimes it's a necessary evil if you're juggling time commitments, however. I also don't like running without some form of fuel so I leave a banana next to the bed, set the alarm for about 15 minutes before getting up, then when the alarm goes off eat the banana whilst getting dressed (and waking up), wait 15 minutes for banana to settle a bit then go. Once moving it is a pleasure to be up so early when it's quiet and I feel great for the rest of the day.

If a bit achy from a previous run...

This is a judgement call. Sometimes active recovery can help improve a slight ache*. This was the case when I had a dull ache in my hip once. I wasn't sure about running that day and spent a long time debating whether or not to go. In the end I decided to go for a very gentle run, at a pace that only just resembled running, and the ache disappeared. If an ache gets worse, however, it's probably best to stop and rest.

There will be times when there just isn't motivation. If you're feeling a bit done in it might be time to just rest. It's best to listen to your body and if it needs a break then give it one. You'll feel a hundred times better on your next run.

Other times, it might be worth visualising the end goal: how will you feel when you accomplish that first 5k, 10k or something further? How proud will you be that you did that? Whether it's crossing the finish line and getting a medal round your neck, or just completing your training plan; that feeling of pushing yourself a little bit beyond your comfort zone, getting fitter and saying 'I did that' is worth getting your arse out of the door.


*Although I have spent far too much time reading about running injuries on the internet I am by no means a qualified physiotherapist or doctor. Any ideas I have are purely things that have worked for me and should not be considered medical advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment