Thursday 1 June 2017

It's ok to stop and walk

So I completed my 2nd half marathon at the weekend. Not quite as fast as the 1st but this time there was one big difference...it was pain free.



Anyone who read my previous blog 'Overdoing it' would know that my 1st half marathon went well until around the 8 mile mark then it was a case of hauling my leg around the last 5 miles. This time I had a game plan, one which I devised during the latter part of my training, when I realised I still have a slight issue with my hamstring tightening. 

So what I decided to do this time was to stop running before any pain set in (after about 30 minutes), walk for 2 minutes then carry on running. This has made such a difference and I was able to run the Edinburgh Half Marathon with this strategy and no pain.

I used to always think you have to run the entire distance of your race to really feel like you had achieved it, but sometimes our bodies are not ready for this. I like to think by walking a little I'm giving my legs a chance to build up strength before an injury sets in.

After this weekend, I now feel the marathon is more of a possibility than ever and have signed up for next year's full marathon in Edinburgh. My plan will remain the same during my training for this - simply to walk when required.

I can't wait to start training.

No comments:

Post a Comment